Thursday, July 02, 2009

Building on Citygarden's success

So far, Citygarden has been a huge success. I make a point to go by the garden as much as possible. Today around noon it was more packed than ever.

Today's Post Dispatch had a photo of two smiling children playing in one of the fountains. It was a cute photo, and the kids were obviously having a good time, but I wondered if playing in the fountains is permitted? Are there limits?

The same question came up the other day in Forest Park. There were families of kids playing in the new fountain at the bottom of Government Hill (across from the Boat House Lake). Is that permitted too?

What happens if homeless people start bathing in the fountains of Citygarden? That would no doubt be a problem. Maybe there's an age limit for people going into the fountains, say around age twelve? If anyone knows the story on this, please reply in the comments section. Thanks.

Back to the good stuff. Seeing the throngs of people flock to the wonderful environment of Citygarden makes me think, there has got to be a way to have similar success in remaking the connection between downtown, the riverfront, and the Arch grounds.

Imagine if we could create the buzz of excitement for our downtown/Arch/riverfront connections area that has happened at Citygarden. The recipe at Citygarden includes public art, water features, and an inviting public space ready to explore.

Is such an outcome possible for our riverfront/downtown/Arch connection area?

4 comments:

Michael Halbrook said...

I'm curious as well. I saw a Fox 2 reporter a few nights ago (on an "it's so hot in St. Louis" story) in front of the new fountain in Forest Park, talking about how it was a great place to play in the water. Today as I drove by it on the way to the zoo with my 3-year-old, I contemplated letting him run around in it, but then wondered if it was really allowed.

I was also thinking about bringing the 3-year-old downtown to city park next week, but would be interested in finding out for sure if getting in the fountains really is allowed.

LisaS said...

nobody was chasing kids out at Citygarden today, but I imagine it's just a matter of time. we've been playing in the Forest Park fountain ever since it opened, but I noticed last week as I drove by a new "Stay Out of the Fountain" sign.

Small. Small enough to be ignored.

Mark Groth said...

My kids were in the fountains at City Garden for nearly 3 hours. They loved it! One of my kids commented it was the best day of his life. They didn't want to leave. A security guard was allowing the kids to play freely, but was making sure people were staying off the rocks at the "waterfall". He also told one of the kids not to touch the sculpture of the nude female figure lying on her side. He said it's the only one in the garden they were told not to allow anyone to touch/climb on.
I found this to be encouraging. This sets the city garden apart from Laumier, as they have signs all over that say "do not touch" and "stay off". IMHO, sculpture should be able to be explored with all senses, I'm glad they are letting people (kids especially) explore and stand witness to the power of having art in our public spaces and lives in general.

Court said...

I agree, let's try to keep these fountains as open as possible. I think it makes it a much more drawing feature for families, and a part of the experience as a whole. St. Louis always needs more quality public spaces where people can gather and create a sense of community.

I know its not as common nowadays, but I almost think a sign that says "Play in fountain at own risk" is better than banning such behavior altogether.